Donate to Dogtown

Help a furkid in need

Human Foods may be Harmful to Pets

Human Foods may be Harmful to Pets

Here is a list some of some of the  human foods which may be toxic or harmful to cats and/or dogs.

ALCOHOL

(Extremely toxic to CATS but also toxic to DOGS) Can cause liver,kidney and brain damage in long term.If a large dose is ingested at once,may lead to coma and death.

APRICOT, PEACH, APPLE AND CHERRY:

Mainly stems, leaves and seeds. Cyanide poisoning

AVOCADO  PIT, SKIN, LEAVE AND STEMS:

Toxic to most animals. Contains a toxin known. Causes gastrointestinal upset ,fluid accumulation in tissues and respiratory distress.

CITRUS:

Can cause your CAT  to vomit and  have diarrhoea. Concentrated citrus oil is very dangerous (cleaning products) so be careful if you have a very curious pet.

CHOCOLATE, TEA AND COFFEE:

Chocolate (can be very dangerous especially dark chocolate) – contains methylxanthines caffeine and theobromine causing toxicity in both  DOGS and CATS. Diuretic and stimulant.

GRAPES AND RAISINS:

Kidney damage and acute kidney failure in DOGS AND CATS

MACADAMIA NUTS:

Concerns DOGS  more than CATS. Unlikely to be fatal but causes very uncomfortable gut symptoms that can last up to 48hours.

MILK:

This won’t kill your pet (small amounts) but many CATS and DOGS are lactose intolerant.To much causes abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea.

MUSHROOMS:

Many mushrooms are  nontoxic but some are highly toxic and poisonous to pets. Dogs are more likely to eat garden mushrooms.

RAW MEAT, FISH AND ORGANS, FAT TRIMMINGS

Can cause are vomiting, diarrhoea from bacteria like salmonella or E.coli Worms or other parasites . Freezing can kill parasites but not bacteria.

LIVER:

Small amounts are fine for both cats and dogs but if fed liver often it can result in vitamin A poisoning. More likely to occur in CATS

ONION AND GARLIC:
Contain sulfoxides and disulfides which damage red blood cells and cause anaemia.

POTATOES(green parts and eyes):

Contain solanin glycosides -nervous system and cardiac toxin.

SALT:

Large amounts of salt can lead to electrolyte imbalance in both CATS and DOGS

TOMATOES:

Both tomatoes(mildly toxic-large quantity) and the tomato plant(toxic) Very similar to
potatoes.

TUNA AND OILY FISH Harmful to CATS:

Fine for an occasional treat for cats but if fed regularly it can lead to a condition known as steatitis or yellow fat disease, inflammation of the body’s fat. Too much any fish instead if meat can also lead to deficiency of Taurine-an essential amino acid in cats.

YEAST/ DOUGH:

Expands in the stomach causing bloating and twisted stomach. As yeast multiplies it produces alcohol which lead to alcohol intoxication (see Alcohol)

SPOILED AND MOULDY FOODS:

These foods belong in the dustbin. Moulds produce toxins called tremorgenic, liver and cancer forming toxins.

XYLITOL:

A sweetener used in many sugar free products. May cause a  severe drop in blood sugar followed by liver failure.

BROCCOLI:

(DOGS) gastrointestinal irritant

RAW EGGS:

In both CATS  and DOGS there is always a possibility that eating raw eggs (eggnog etc.) can cause salmonella. May also cause Vit B deficiency but only important in very old and young pets.

THIS LIST IS ONLY INTENDED AS A GUIDE AND DOES NOT CONTAIN ALL FOODS THAT MAY BE HARMFUL TO YOUR CAT OR DOG

THE AFFECTS OF THESE SUBSTANCES ON DIFFERENT INDIVIDUAL IS EXTREMELY VARIABLE, AS IS THE AMOUNT OF A SPECIFIC SUBSTANCE REQUIRED TO CAUSE SYMPTOMS IN A PARTICULAR PET

It does not follow that if certain a individual suffers no ill effects from consuming of one of the above, that your pet will not become ill from eating the exact substance. There is also no guarantee that if your pet does not become ill from consuming a small amount of one of these substances, that they will not develop severe symptom if they consume a increased amount .

ASK YOUR VET FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE IF YOU THINK YOUR PET IS EATING FOOD THAT COULD BE HARMFUL.
IF YOU SUSPECT YOUR PET HAS EATEN OR HAS EATEN A FOOD THAT IS IS TOXIC
IF YOUR PET IS SHOWING SYMPTOMS WHICH ARE SUSPICIOUS TAKE THEM TO A VET IMMEDIATELY.

By Dr Larry Kraitzick