Volunteer at DogtownSA
DogtownSA is a one of a kind behavior rehabilitation centre based in the beautiful Hennops mountains.
Only 30 minutes from Fourways, it’s a paradise for doggies in a beautiful tranquil area.
Now we have the beautiful walking trails and lovely forest areas but WE NEED YOU, the precious volunteers who give up their time to help us take care of our beautiful furkids. Without volunteers, we cannot achieve, as much for our beautiful furry ones, so we are so very grateful that you are inquiring to come and volunteer at our centre. With your help we can help take our furkids on the rewarding journey to become adorable adoptables.
Now there are so many ways, you can help us at the centre, all talents and time given are appreciated, whether you want to:
- Become a part of the Pooch Parade and help us walk the 150 dogs in our care. (weather dependent)
- Join the Clean Team, and help keep our containers and dog houses clean and tidy.
- The Paint Saints who keep the dog houses, painted and in one piece.
- The Snuggle Buggles who just want to spend quality time with our furkids.
- Help us at local markets spread the word about our work and sell our merchandise.
- Help us keep our website up to date by following up on dogs looking for homes.
There is a place for everyone here at Dogtown.
If you want to learn more about dog behavior and training, we offer exciting free workshops, where you can learn and do more with the dogs and become a part of the Dream Team helping us train our furkids to become the best they can be. The level at which you become a part of our family is totally up to you and we look forward to seeing you soon.
To help our days run smoothly and for us to plan the days, we would appreciate it if you can always contact email@example.com and let them know when you would like to volunteer. There is so much we need help with and if we know we have a few extra pair of hands on deck, our daily plans can include you generously giving up your time.
We are open to volunteers every day, weekends included. Our volunteer times below:
Morning shift is from 9:00 – 12:30 and afternoon shift is from 13:30 – 15:00.
Your volunteer session can be as long as you want, as long as it falls within our scheduled time-slots.
All visitors and volunteers are kindly requested to leave the octagon areas during lunch time (12:30 – 13:30) so that the dogs (and caregivers) can have a much needed break and siesta. Please pack a lunch and enjoy your break at one of our picnic benches on the farm, which are away from the doggy areas.
Our centre closes at 16:00 so we need a bit of time before we close to help our dogs settle down again before we all head home, that is why we ask that all volunteers please end off their sessions at 15:00.
Dogtown is based in the beautiful mountains of Hennops River, just outside Hartbeespoort Dam. We are only about 30 minutes from Fourways and just 20 mins from Midrand. Our full address will be provided via email once your booking has been confirmed.
We welcome Community service students and corporate CSI projects and we are so grateful you chose us as your charity. We hope that even once your community service is complete, you will be happy to come and continue your work here at the centre.
An important note:
Students have to be at least 12years old to be able to volunteer at Dogtown. All students under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Students are responsible for keeping record of their own hours and can be signed of by one of our care givers or trainers at the end of your volunteer session.
We do not have a shop or canteen area (YET) so please make sure to bring the following:
- Lunch (if needed)
- Comfortable (closed toe) shoes that can handle rocky terrain. (no flip flops or heels)
- Comfortable clothes that can get dirty
- Donations – we always appreciate and need basic items like biscuits, peanut butter, blankets, vienna’s and toys for the dogs. At our centre we also go through a lot of dish-washing liquid and washing powder so any donation you can bring will be a huge help to us. But the main thing is that you are spending time with our dogs so if you can’t bring a donation, that is no problem, your time is equally (if not more) valuable to us!
We have a very strict no-smoking policy on the property to ensure our dogs, residents and environment’s safety.
When you arrive at Dogtown for your volunteer session (booking essential) – please report to the RECEPTION AREA (opposite the parking lot) so that the staff member on duty can accompany you to your allocated octagon for your session.
Volunteers are requested to not move between different octagons and to please remain in the area where you have been allocated for your shift.
To book your session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will then be assigned to a specific octagon for your shift.
Please take note of our volunteer rules which you need to download and read thoroughly – CLICK HERE
Please also download our waiver and consent form which you will need to email back to us before your booking can be confirmed. Download the waiver and consent form – CLICK HERE
WELCOME TO TEAM DOGTOWN AND THANK YOU FOR CARING ABOUT OUR DOGS!